Oil & Gas

Odfjell Well Services Romania Opens New Repair Shop in Ploiesti

Odfjell Well Services (OWS) is a significant player within the upstream oilfield service sector and part of Odfjell Drilling. The company provides tubular running services, drilling tool rental and well intervention services, serving clients across the globe.

OWS, established in Europe and the Middle East with hundreds of skilled, highly qualified and engaged employees working around the world, has been present in Romania since 2009.

Recently, Odfjell Well Services Romania announced the expansion of their facilities by opening of a new repair shop in Ploiesti – another important millstone for their local business, and the acquisition of brand-new CNC machines (Hankook Protec 9N) and other machineries ready to add value to their services.

In Romania Odfjell Well Services operates since 2009 but the local entity has been set up a few years later, in 2012.

The company is presently going through a period of growth and just recently surpassed 50 employees.

“From here we coordinate the larger area of Central and South Eastern Europe. It is no coincidence that we chose Romania as a regional hub – we managed to have a very good start in this market and we were able to put together a very strong team. Romania’s long tradition in oil and gas brings the advantage that it is easier to find skilled people than in other places and this is key for our business. We tend to share resources between the different countries in which the Odfjell Drilling operates, for instance many Romanians have participated in projects in the North Sea or Middle East,” Alexandru Gomoescu – Regional Manager at Odfjell Well Services, says.

“Back in 2013 about 90% of our business was coming from Romania. However, we were very dependent on one or two very large operators which were generating the majority of our revenue. For the stability of our business we started shifting our focus towards new jurisdictions. Presently about 60% of our business comes from Romania, whereas the remaining 40% comes from other countries in the region,” he mentions.

“This regional expansion has become very important for us; we have in fact put together a new geo-market as part of our Group’s strategy. We have just added new countries to our portfolio and starting out we will provide services sourced from Romania, but the plan is to open new entities in the coming years. Market might change fast; fluctuation in oil prices might force clients to reconsider their drilling campaigns. All these will not make any change or difference for Odfjell Well Services in delivering same high quality, safety and reliable services for clients in Romania and abroad. In generally we keep an eye out for market developments to understand what makes most sense in terms of expansion going forward,” Alexandru Gomoescu ads.

Regarding the plans for the upcoming period, the manager underlined that the company firstly wants to solidify its portfolio and chasing for new businesses. There are some new challenges to adapt to, for instance more complex projects in new areas or different (rigid) procurement practices.

“We are also very interested to take on more Deepwater work in the Black Sea and Mediterranean,” Alexandru Gomoescu concludes.

 

Protec 9N series present capabilities

  • Combine advantages of brand new Hankook Protec 9N, full CNC lathe and manual lathe
  • Connection repair or new connection machining
  • Connection recuts, by removing minimum amount of material to ensure a full repair
  • Connection refacing
  • Cold- working for increased fatigue life
  • Custom repairs
  • Phosphate coating of the pin and box
  • Field and in-house inspections
  • Pipe management
Tags

Related Articles

Close